Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-19, 11:38 PM   #1
promitheas
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Text languages not consistent

Hey guys,
So if you read my post history, you might see that I have the steam version of the game with TWoS (steam conversion tool), but there is something that really bugs me. I have the German audio, which I agree is much more immersive and enjoyable, but I do need all my text to be in English so that I know what I'm looking at and clicking on. However, some is in English, and others are in German. I took some screenshots of the sub systems and crew windows so that you can see the difference (while on the subject of crew window, how can I edit my captain photo?).

Is this a bug, or is it something that I need to manually set, and if so, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who knows how can give me some pointers to do it.

That is all for now!
Thank you,
promitheas

---
SH5 Steam version, TWoS, used the steam conversion tool.
SH3 Steam version, GWX Gold
promitheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 01:15 AM   #2
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by promitheas View Post
Hey guys,
So if you read my post history, you might see that I have the steam version of the game with TWoS (steam conversion tool), but there is something that really bugs me. I have the German audio, which I agree is much more immersive and enjoyable, but I do need all my text to be in English so that I know what I'm looking at and clicking on. However, some is in English, and others are in German. I took some screenshots of the sub systems and crew windows so that you can see the difference (while on the subject of crew window, how can I edit my captain photo?).

Is this a bug, or is it something that I need to manually set, and if so, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who knows how can give me some pointers to do it.

That is all for now!
Thank you,
promitheas
the missing captain face it's not a bug... u can replace TWoS captain.dds file with the default sh5 captain.dds
the file which one need to be replaced can be found \Data\Menu\Skins\German\Gui\Crew\

or u can use this mod
enabled at the end of your list there are only .dds file... so u don't mess up any cfg files with this mod... it's safe to use it !
about the german text u can edit the Menu.txt file from data\Menu\
i am not sure if TWoS has a full english menu.txt file
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 04:53 AM   #3
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
the missing captain face it's not a bug... u can replace TWoS captain.dds file with the default sh5 captain.dds
the file which one need to be replaced can be found \Data\Menu\Skins\German\Gui\Crew\

or u can use this mod
enabled at the end of your list there are only .dds file... so u don't mess up any cfg files with this mod... it's safe to use it !
about the german text u can edit the Menu.txt file from data\Menu\
i am not sure if TWoS has a full english menu.txt file
With regards to the captains mugshot, I went to the link you gave and replaced all the dds files with the Das Boot versions, and I am going to try it out once I post this.

For the text, I have found the menu.txt file in the location you specified, and it appears to be in English. However I don't really understand anything inside at all. I mean that I can read it but its all stuff like this:

Quote:
; Edited by TheDarkWraith for NewUIs_TDC_7_4_0
; Edited on 5/19/2013 @ 1730
; Further edited for TWoS 1.04 by vdr1981

[STRINGS]

;comments start with a semicolon
;don't translate words like this: #UPPERCASE#

MaxStrings=11300

; page main
0=
1=GO TO GAME
2=SUBMARINE SCHOOL
3=The Wolves of Steel v2.2.10
4=SINGLE MISSION
5=MULTIPLAYER
6=MUSEUM
7=OPTIONS
8=MISSION
9=Torpedo waiting in queue for loading
10=Yes
11=No
12=OK

14=PLAYER'S RANK;BASE LOCATION
15=FLOTILLA;CAPTAIN'S LOG
16=CREW AWARDS

17=DOCKYARD
18=Proceed
19=OPERATIONS ROOM

20=PATROLS
21=AWARDS
22=Submarine ACES

23=MEDALS
24=CITATIONS
25=RANK PROMOTIONS

26=Moving in %s
27=Loading in %s
28=Unloading in %s
29=Auto Loading
30=Back
31=OPTIONS

32=Carrier name already used. Overwrite it?
33=Mission completed
34=View Captain's Log

35=%s||%s
36=compart.
37=subsystem
38=CE
39=NO
40=WP
41=No damage to repair
42=Status
43=hh/mm
44=Comp. and Subsystems
(this is only a small section of the file, from the beginning)

Is there a line I need to change in this file?

Thanks again,
promitheas

Edit 1: The crew portraits in both the crew management window and the 'HUD' at the bottom of the screen have now been Das Bootified successfully

---

Last edited by promitheas; 04-13-19 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-13-19, 05:54 AM   #4
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
With regards to the captains mugshot, I went to the link you gave and replaced all the dds files with the Das Boot versions, and I am going to try it out once I post this.

For the text, I have found the menu.txt file in the location you specified, and it appears to be in English. However I don't really understand anything inside at all. I mean that I can read it but its all stuff like this:

(this is only a small section of the file, from the beginning)

Is there a line I need to change in this file?

Thanks again,
promitheas

Edit 1: The crew portraits in both the crew management window and the 'HUD' at the bottom of the screen have now been Das Bootified successfully
now i am far away from home but in a few days i will be home and i will upload for u a complete English menu.txt file
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:00 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

You can use the German Language Patch to turn all text in German (for TWoS and some major mods only), but the mod has the drawback that the ID-Book doesn't corrispond to the WO's identifications. This is not critical however if you play Real Navigation.

Other than this, don't use any German message mods and all the text should remain in English. Ask Veko (vdr1981) in the TWoS mod discussion about how to do this. For default in TWoS all messages are in English with German voices.
Be sure to chose the right language and voices when you install game, you cannot change that afterwards, but this has NO influence on TWoS.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 12:37 PM   #6
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
You can use the German Language Patch to turn all text in German (for TWoS and some major mods only), but the mod has the drawback that the ID-Book doesn't corrispond to the WO's identifications. This is not critical however if you play Real Navigation.

Other than this, don't use any German message mods and all the text should remain in English. Ask Veko (vdr1981) in the TWoS mod discussion about how to do this. For default in TWoS all messages are in English with German voices.
Be sure to chose the right language and voices when you install game, you cannot change that afterwards, but this has NO influence on TWoS.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but when I installed the game from steam it was in English and didn't give me the option to select language. I installed TWoS following the instructions and it works fine. But the strange thing is that only some of the text is in German. The rest is just fine

Thanks again,
promitheas

---
Old 04-13-19, 01:12 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean, but when I installed the game from steam it was in English and didn't give me the option to select language. I installed TWoS following the instructions and it works fine. But the strange thing is that only some of the text is in German. The rest is just fine

Thanks again,
promitheas

What I mean is: the TWoS mod is using some under-mods to make some of the radio messages display in German, and this is probably what you want to get rid off. If you take this out, then really all the text should be in English. Go ask in the TWOS thread to know how to do this. At the end, it's about the right Menu.txt file.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-13-19 at 01:30 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 04:03 PM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:

Thanks again,
promitheas
Yes. Sub systems have original German names but their descriptions are in English...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 04:14 PM   #9
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Yes. Sub systems have original German names but their descriptions are in English...
Is this how it is intended to be? If so, how can I change it? However much I love this game I don't think it qualifies as a valid reason to learn German by itself.

promitheas

---
Old 04-13-19, 05:03 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Is this how it is intended to be? If so, how can I change it? However much I love this game I don't think it qualifies as a valid reason to learn German by itself.

promitheas
Equipment names are defined in submarine upcge files (data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7*\NSS_Uboat7*.upcge). You can edit them manually if you like but I really don't see why since the description for the equipment is still in English...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 05:53 PM   #11
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Equipment names are defined in submarine upcge files (data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7*\NSS_Uboat7*.upcge). You can edit them manually if you like but I really don't see why since the description for the equipment is still in English...
I'm going to give that a try asap. Why? Because for example when I'm being depth charged and I've got damage I don't want to have to spend that etra little time reading descriptions t ofigure out what everything is, so that I can decide what has highest priority to fix. I'd rather just look at it and read it immediately. Just my way to play.

promitheas

Edit 1:
vdr1981: I found the file you mentioned, and may need a little help understanding the contents.

In the beginning there is a Captain Data section - pretty straightforward other than the name is not the one I chose for my campaign. Not sure how relevant this is.
Then the Submarine Type Definition which again is straightforward other than the UnitName variable being set to U-27 - I'm U-96 in the campaign.
Then the Status of Equipments & Weapons section, followed by the Compartments Structure section.
Here is where I start seeing German. I guess if I change the NameDisplayable variables from German to the English equivalent it will update in game, but before messing around with files I clearly don't understand I would appreciate if you can confirm this so I don't mess everything up.

And this is really interesting anyway because I do want to create some mods eventually, and this is valuable info.

So thanks again!

---

Last edited by promitheas; 04-14-19 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 02:36 AM   #12
MRshades
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Can you please upload English text file for silent hunter 5
MRshades is offline   Reply With Quote