Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-24, 02:20 PM   #3646
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
Is there any news evidence that the US has authorized Ukrainian in using HIMARS, ATACMS and similar against Russian targets inside Russia? (Asking AI:chatgpt4)

Recent news indicates that the United States has not authorized Ukraine to use HIMARS, ATACMS, or similar weapons to strike deep into Russian territory. While the U.S. has provided Ukraine with advanced weaponry such as HIMARS and ATACMS, the authorization for their use is restricted to within Ukrainian borders or areas immediately involved in the conflict. This policy aims to avoid escalating the conflict by preventing strikes deep within Russian territory​ (Yahoo)​​ (IISS)​.

The U.S. has permitted the use of HIMARS and GMLRS (Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System) to target Russian positions that directly threaten Ukrainian territory, particularly in regions like Kharkiv Oblast​ (Yahoo)​.

However, long-range ATACMS missiles are not included in this authorization and are intended for use within Ukraine's sovereign territory only​ (Euromaidan Press)​.

There have been reports of ATACMS being used by Ukraine, but these instances are within the context of their current conflict zones and not for strikes deep into Russian territory​ (Military.com)​.

This approach aligns with the U.S. strategy of supporting Ukraine's defense while minimizing the risk of a broader escalation involving NATO and Russia.

I rarely comment on Strategy or the use of weapons. However, I think it was a colossal mistake on the part of the U.S to limit the use of weapons we give to the Ukraine in defense of their homeland. Russia initiated and wanted this war. Russia doesn't observe any limitations in the bombing and killing of the Innocent. Ukraine shouldn't be hamstrung in how they orchestrate the defense of their homeland. The only thing Russia understand is getting a bloody nose. We in the U.S should help in those efforts.

Russia certainly did the same in Vietnam and also in the Korean war where Russia's own pilots fought directly against our people and flew MiG's against our F-86 sabre jets. Russia will sign it's own death warrant if it wants a wider war with the U.S and or against NATO as a whole.

To be fair, I understand the U.S not wanting a wider conflict but as Mick Jagger says, you can't always get what you want but you get what you need. In the case of Russia, you get what you deserve and asked for.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-24, 03:10 PM   #3647
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-24, 03:29 PM   #3648
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Markus

Old 06-05-24, 03:54 PM   #3649
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I rarely comment on Strategy or the use of weapons. However, I think it was a colossal mistake on the part of the U.S to limit the use of weapons we give to the Ukraine in defense of their homeland. Russia initiated and wanted this war. Russia doesn't observe any limitations in the bombing and killing of the Innocent. Ukraine shouldn't be hamstrung in how they orchestrate the defense of their homeland. The only thing Russia understand is getting a bloody nose. We in the U.S should help in those efforts.

Russia certainly did the same in Vietnam and also in the Korean war where Russia's own pilots fought directly against our people and flew MiG's against our F-86 sabre jets. Russia will sign it's own death warrant if it wants a wider war with the U.S and or against NATO as a whole.

To be fair, I understand the U.S not wanting a wider conflict but as Mick Jagger says, you can't always get what you want but you get what you need. In the case of Russia, you get what you deserve and asked for.

I don't know if after 2 years and 4 months anybody is still trying to achieve a swift end to the war. It seems like they are willing to broaden it?

It could be the case like the South East Asia conflict that the different departments in the United States Government are fighting different wars in the same place hindering and confusing the situation.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-24, 05:01 PM   #3650
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The US must balance its - limited - ressources versus its needs regarding China. American weapon production also meets its limits, regarding production output.

The latter problem is shared in Europe, just that in Europe the deficits in military productivity are even much worse, and the willingness NOT to adress this in full is quite big in some key player countries, namely Germany, which refuses Macron's talk of European independence in military production (whether he really means it is somehtign different, when the French say "Europe" they implicitly mean "France first"...) and prefers to just crawl back under the American umbrella, hoping that Trump or Biden will play nice with NATO.

Russia on the other hand has raced at exactly the opposite direction: it has switched to full war production, and to such a total degree where it needs the war to continue at any cost, if the economy should not instantly collapse.

Two sides, the one searching desperately a way to peace, the other as desperately depending on avoiding peace and continuing the war to prevail.

Interesting situation, to put it this way. As usual, my expectations of the future of this are utmost grim.

Also, a shortage of key ressources caps Western ammunition production.
Old 06-05-24, 05:26 PM   #3651
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
I don't know if after 2 years and 4 months anybody is still trying to achieve a swift end to the war. It seems like they are willing to broaden it?

It could be the case like the South East Asia conflict that the different departments in the United States Government are fighting different wars in the same place hindering and confusing the situation.

It does seem that way or maybe people are wising up that you can't fight a War with your hands tied.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-24, 05:33 PM   #3652
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The US must balance its - limited - ressources versus its needs regarding China. American weapon production also meets its limits, regarding production output.

The latter problem is shared in Europe, just that in Europe the deficits in military productivity are even much worse, and the willingness NOT to adress this in full is quite big in some key player countries, namely Germany, which refuses Macron's talk of European independence in military production (whether he really means it is somehtign different, when the French say "Europe" they implicitly mean "France first"...) and prefers to just crawl back under the American umbrella, hoping that Trump or Biden will play nice with NATO.

Russia on the other hand has raced at exactly the opposite direction: it has switched to full war production, and to such a total degree where it needs the war to continue at any cost, if the economy should not instantly collapse.

Two sides, the one searching desperately a way to peace, the other as desperately depending on avoiding peace and continuing the war to prevail.

Interesting situation, to put it this way. As usual, my expectations of the future of this are utmost grim.

Also, a shortage of key ressources caps Western ammunition production.
What will our coming history books tell the kids in the future about this war ?
That Russia outnumbered NATO 10/20 to 1 in ammo production and 5/10 to 1 in weapon production, but was outnumbered 10 to 1 in drones.

Markus

Old 06-05-24, 08:36 PM   #3653
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It does seem that way or maybe people are wising up that you can't fight a War with your hands tied.
Well whether all of us agree or not we are on a slippery slope to somewhere

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote