View Single Post
Old 01-08-17, 04:24 AM   #6
marce
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hi guys!
I played SH2 and then SH3 when it released, but took a very long hiatus after encountering so many bugs in SH4 and getting disappointed.
Anyway, now I’m back catching up on LSH3, SH4-OM (so much goodness!) and of course SH5 WOS which is my current focus, because I love real navigation.

I watched many tutorials on the manual TDC and this one was quite helpful, thanks!
However, I still have a few questions/problems (sorry for hijacking the thread) so I hope somebody can give me some pointers:
  • My main problem are terrible stadimeter results. I currently have map contacts turned on to check my results with the correct values and I find my range measurements to be off by a lot, especially on long distances. I know about transferring the correct mast height and everything should be set up correctly. But, for example in the manual TDC training mission the first range measurement of the tanker I take reads 8850m while it is only about 6900m away, which is quite a difference. Now my question is if this is simply the tolerance of the stadimeter readings we must deal with or if I’m doing something wrong?
  • The second thing is that I haven’t found a manual TDC tutorial for a situation in which the sub is moving instead of stationary. I know in theory that we “only” have to offset our own movement vector, but it would be awesome if someone could point we to a tutorial/example where it is done correctly.
  • Thirdly, I quickly threw together this calculator yesterday which takes the same data I use for my solution and calculates the values mathematically (instead of constructing them) which in theory should be more precise if I didn’t mess up my trigonometry. I plan on using it to verify my own results until I feel confident. It would be nice if someone who knows how the numbers should look like could try my contraption and tell me if I’m even calculating the right stuff in the first place.
  • Lastly, is there a trick to take the torpedo speed into account? At the moment, I select the speed just on a gut feeling, but that can’t be right…

Thanks in advance!
marce is offline   Reply With Quote