View Single Post
Old 11-24-17, 11:31 PM   #72
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

ACR

Interesting theory, but it has holes.

Firstly that is the sonar data from the nuclear test ban orginaization who had access to the original audio. They classified it as an explosion, not an implosion. The sound of a collapsing hull is a very distinct sound, and I'd hope that a group listening for nuclear blasts would know an explosion.

Second is that as someone showed in a technical breakdown of the TR1700, it does have some watertight bulkheads. With a hull collapse, you would hear the bulkhead collapse in succession, not just a single event.

Thirdly, if they were on the surface taking on water slowly and not able to pump it out, they would have had time to deploy the emergancy rescue beacon and evacuate the crew.

Forth, I'm by no means a capable seaman or fit to be a sub captain, but if I was in a submarine with battery issues that threatened propulsion; at this point is somewhat unclear what issue was with the battery other then it was reported as a routine issue, but being in a storm like they were, and thinking that I was not in immediate danger of sinking and knowing that if had oxygen for days, I would be hesitant to surface a small submarine like that and risk losing propulsion and not being able to control my sub in the waves.